Monday, August 27, 2012

Sam Bradley - Show Report, The Regal Room at Hammersmith's London


The Regal Room
Distillers Pub, Hammersmith
London
25 August 2012
by London Show Reporter, Maz Healey




Setlist

Lights
Science Prevents Me
Whiskey & You
Not Your Kind
Details
Scared
Little Sister
No one & me
Money in the bank
Too Far Gone
That's how strong my love is
Untitled new song
Woman you crazy
Passport
Go back


On Saturday I was fortunate to be invited to a private gig at The Distillers in Hammersmith (West London).

The gig was in honour of A Soulful Sound’s main man – Sam Bradley.

Since the evening was a celebration of Sam’s birthday and a treat for the UK contingent of his Street Team this won’t be a critique of his performance for the small audience.



First up was District Line (duo comprised of Sam’s sister, Grace Lindsey and Sarah McMullen). Their set was a mix of original songs and covers including one from teeny –bopper Justin Bieber (yes, you read that right), Chaka Khan and ‘Boys’ which was penned by the girls. If you like harmonised vocals with a side-order of sass, check out these girls on 18th September at Notting Hill Arts Club.



Much like previous performances, Sam opened with ‘Lights’ and allowed himself to go a bit ‘freestyle’ both vocally and on guitar – showing off his energy & skills!  As you must surely know by now, his performances are usually interspersed with chatty interludes and due to the intimate nature of the evening the audience was encouraged to interact with questions and requests.  He performed a cover of the great Nashville artist, Chris Stapleton's  Whiskey & You,’ when he does these covers, I often wonder why he doesn’t write more songs in this ilk as his voice lends itself beautifully to the genre.



Sam had his sister accompany him on a few songs ‘Scared’, ‘Money in the Bank’ , the crowd pleaser ‘Woman You Crazy’ and she even provided harmonies on an unrehearsed title-less new  track which needs some work but has good bones.



More banter ensued and the audience asked for tongue in cheek requests including Bieber and Britney. Now, as a general rule, I’m not a fan of commercial pop which slits the throat and rips out the still-beating heart of real music but Beliebers, be assured he did your wanky-haired idol justice, although his Britney really was executed like a true X Factor reject!

I was thrilled Sam did ‘Too Far Gone’ since I had never seen it performed live before and ‘Passport’ is always a joy to hear.



One of the Street Teamers was subjected to utter mortification (her words) when Sam serenaded her with ‘That’s How Strong My Love Is’ and even slid on his knees whilst doing so -  that had us all chuckling but he may have bruises tomorrow.

It was a great evening and I hope there will be more in the future. Many thanks to the organisers (@katieh101 and @funkyfanatic), Grace, Sarah and of course Sam.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great show report! Reading these always make me wish I could be at every show! You never want to miss a moment... because you never know what he will do! :) What I wouldn't have given to be in that room to hear the Belieber and Britney sides of Sam! I have no doubt he did it justice.. Sam would do nothing less.. even in jest :)

    Every time I have heard Sam sing "Whiskey & you" my heart just stops! IT will always be a favorite of mine from him! So thrilled to hear Sam shared a new song! I know I'm not the only one who can't wait to hear what he's been up to... when he's ready.. of course :)

    Dropped to his knees hmmmm... well, I'm not sure "utter mortification" would be the first thought in my head at a moment like that.. but...well.. I know what she means :)

    Thanks again!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete