Monday, April 16, 2012

Sam Bradley Show Report, The Tin Angel, Philadelphia

The Tin Angel
Philadelphia, PA
April 11, 2012


When I learned that Sam Bradley would be playing the Tin Angel, a wonderful venue in Philadelphia that I have been frequenting since its grand opening in 1992, I was ecstatic!
As I climbed the mountainous staircase up to the “listening room” I habitually touch the photos on the wall of the shows I’ve attended over the years.  Lyle Lovett, Dar Williams, Susan Werner, Francis Dunnery, Marshall Crenshaw, Amos Lee (who by the way bartended at The Angel and makes a decent Cosmopolitan!), Raul Malo, Jeff Buckley, David Gray, Martin Sexton, Paula Cole, Ani DiFranco, Patty Griffin, Jonatha Brooke, Laura Nyro,  Keb' Mo, Duncan Sheik, Dave Alvin, Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Kelly Willis, Graham Parker, Al Stewart, Tom Rush, Chris Smither, Steve Forbert, Loudon Wainwright III, Odetta, Olu Dara, Freedy Johnston, Roger McGuinn, Rosanne Cash, Janis Ian, Richie Havens, Jill Sobule, , Gillian Welch,  Luka Bloom, Nils Lofgren, Marshall Crenshaw, Rodney Crowell, Lloyd Cole, Ramblin' Jack Elliott, Rick Danko, Townes Van Zandt, Morphine, Gil Scott Heron, Christine Lavin, Chris Whitley, Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown, Jonathan Richman, John Gorka, Susan Werner, , Moxy Fruvous, Fairport Convention, Tim Finn, Robyn Hitchcock, Ron Sexsmith.. just to name a few.
My excitement mounts as I make my way down to the front and take a seat at my usual table.



Within minutes, Sam takes the stage.  I am overjoyed and proud to see him on a stage that is as familiar to me as my very own living room.  He begins his set with Science Prevents Me.  Beautiful.

We have a first timer at our table, a music buddy who has been to hundreds of shows with me over the years… she came unaware of Sam’s talents (shocking that there are a few left in the world) and by his third song in - Little Sister - I knew we had her!


Sam’s set was over far too quickly, but we still had Marcus Foster to come.  It was my first time seeing Marcus and I was quite excited to see him.
Marcus had us all at first growl!  Wow, raw, powerful and primal.  Marcus has a set of strong bluesy songs that were very impressive.  He definitely gained a few new fans!
I fell in love with his song, Solid Ground.



Another magical, musical night in Philadelphia.
Come back soon, Sam

Show Reporter:  SophiaG

No comments:

Post a Comment